Importance of a Conducive Learning Environment
Updated: Apr 5
A learning environment refers to the spaces and context in which a young child grows and learns.
Many factors can affect a child's learning experience. For example, parents, caregivers, and the presence of other children can affect your child's learning and receptiveness. However, a child's learning environment is extremely important to his or her development, especially in his or her early years.
Today, we explore what makes a conducive learning environment as well as the benefits of having a conducive learning environment.
What makes a conducive learning environment?
1) It should be welcoming, familiar, and interesting.
- Unfamiliar environments will cause the child to feel stressed, which can affect his or her learning.
- Classrooms with homely features can make children feel comfortable and in turn, more receptive to learning.
All children and especially infants need two-way human interaction that comes from human beings, such as their parents, caregivers, teachers or educarers. Babies need to hear human voices, participate in the conversation and have songs directed at him or her while cuddling, nursing or playing on the floor mat.
At Nurture Infant House Tampines, we will talk with the babies in our care, while feeding, playing or dressing or when we take them outdoors for walks. We will read to our babies every day and stimulate the pretoddler's memory skills through infant games like peek-a-boo or practice waving goodbye.
2) It should be diverse.
- The area should have a variety of new and interesting areas and features
- Different parts of an environment should also have different stimulation levels so that the child is exposed to different opportunities for learning.
Consider using music, especially classical music to give your babies an educational edge. Classical music is rather structured in the way the music is composed and through this structure, can convey a calm environment for your baby.
3) Encourage playtime.
- An effective learning environment should encourage learning through play. You can help your baby develop hand-eye coordination by providing age-appropriate toys, such as blocks.
4) Evoke the senses.
- The environment should contain features that involve all five senses and provoke thinking, open-ended outcomes, and creativity.
- For example, the learning environment should have toys that are of different colours, textures, and scents.
- Use the outdoors, take walks. At Nurture Infant House Tampines, we believe that being outdoors gives children more opportunities to be physically active, improves their motor skills, strengthens their immune system and reduces the risk of myopia. The outdoors is fun, yet calming and makes our children happier.
5) It should be social.
- Social interaction between children gives them access to different perspectives.
- A conducive learning environment should encourage social interaction among children.
- You can consider using sensory play activities such as water play to let your child play cooperatively with another child or side by side, encouraging social interaction.
Do check out our article on Sensory Play Activities for more tips on how to introduce such play to stimulate your child's development.
Benefits of a conducive learning environment
Having a good early learning environment has lasting effects that carry through to adulthood.
Some of these effects include:
- Being more socially adept.
- Initiating and maintaining successful relationships in life.
- Greater capacity to show empathy to others.
- Greater self-confidence and higher self-esteem due to having a supportive environment in childhood.
- Having healthy attitudes towards learning.
Infant Care Centres
With these long-lasting benefits of a child's early learning environment, it is extremely important that parents try to provide their child with such an environment, not just at home, but in a classroom setting.
It is important not to deprive your child of developmental opportunities, but to be extremely deliberate in planning in the most conducive learning environment for your child. Therefore, for parents who send their children to infant care centres, it is essential that you send your child to a conducive learning environment.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
Importance of a conducive learning environment
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/importance-of-a-conducive-learning-environment (Read 200,857 times)
Holistic Child Development
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52,623 times)
What to prepare for infant care
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23,028 times)
Tampines parks that you can bring your child
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/tampines-parks-that-you-can-bring-your-child (Read 11,902 times)
Cost of infant care
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11,246 times)
NURTURE INFANT HOUSE (Tampines)
As a leading infant care in Tampines, Nurture Infant House Tampines provides a happy and healthy learning environment for your infants to learn and grow independently.
Our infant care at Tampines have over 10 years of experience in caring for your beloved infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. Check out our Tampines infant care’s testimonials regarding the care that parents’ infants have received at Nurture Infant House.
Check out our infant care Tampines’s gallery for photos taken during activities.
If you are looking for infant care in Tampines or preschool in Tampines or childcare in Tampines, do consider Nurture Infant House.
Located beside our Tampines infant care is our Genesis Childcare 1989. Boasting over 30 years of specialised experience, we have nurtured thousands of infants, toddlers, and preschoolers so if you are looking for childcare in Tampines to start your little ones in life, why not start your search by registering with us for a complimentary guided tour?
Lastly, would you like to visit our Nurture Infant House to find out more about our environment and setup as well as understand our operations by talking to our teachers and supervisor?
You can visit us at the following venues:
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 Singapore 520433
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 Singapore 520433
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293