The 21 Best Play Ideas and Activities for Your Child
Updated: Mar 28
In this article, I am sharing suggestions of play and activities with you to engage your 1 to 3 years old child.
1. “Who does our child love more” challenge.
- Put the child in the middle.
- Both mama and dada stand there.
- Count 3, 2, 1. Both runoff in two different directions.
- See who the child follows?
- Repeat three rounds. The person who the child follows most wins.
If there is a tie, play another round.
2. Play musical instruments.
- Buy a set of instruments.
- Introduce one instrument a day or a week.
- Let your child explore each instrument’s sound and feel.
3. Sing nursery rhymes and have a mini dance party.
- Hold a mini dance party at home.
- Play music you like, sing, and dance along with your child.
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
If You’re Happy and You Know It
Wheels on the Bus
If your child can’t stand yet, carry him in your arms as you sing and dance to the music.
4. Blow bubbles.
- Buy a bubble machine that makes bubbles for a long time.
5. Play with a ball.
- Roll a ball back and forth to one another.
- Encourage your child to kick or throw the ball too.
- Play “basketball” and teach him to throw the ball into a laundry basket.
6. Play with Lego blocks.
- Teach your child how to stack one block on top of the other.
- Build a tower and have him knock it down or help him build something out of the blocks.
7. Play with household items.
- Play drums with wooden spoons.
- Crinkle an empty water bottle.
8. Read books.
9. Water the plants.
- Fill a small plastic cup with water.
- Show your child how to water low plants.
10. Wipe surfaces.
11. Put toys away.
- Count each piece of Lego blocks as you put them away.
- Sort the Lego blocks by colour.
12. Hand Print.
- Take your child’s hand to touch paint that is washable.
- Put a hand on a paper.
- Ask your child, “What colour is it?”
13. Colour on a piece of paper.
- Tape a large piece of paper onto a low table.
- Use washable crayons to scribble colours all over the paper.
This helps to develop fine motor skills.
14. Play with stickers.
- Show your child how to pick a sticker up and paste it on a sticker book.
- Let your child try.
This helps to develop the fine motor skills of using his thumb and pointer finger to pick the sticker.
15. Pour water.
- Fill the cup with a little bit of water.
- Show your child how to pour the water into the bowl.
- Let your child try.
16. Squeeze water with a sponge.
- Fill a bowl with water.
- Let your child dip the sponge and squeeze the water out of the sponge into another bowl.
17. Visit indoor playgrounds or playrooms with pretend furniture and props.
18. Have a picnic at the park.
- Pack your child’s meal and take it to the park.
- Bring a picnic blanket where you can both sit and enjoy a meal outdoors.
- Pick a spot under a tree so he can lie down, watch the leaves move and relax in the shade.
19. Go for a walk near home.
20. Bring your child to swim.
21. Mama Vs Dada Challenge.
Lay your head on your child's lap and see how your child reacts.
If your child loves it, he smiles at you, kisses or smooches you.
If not, your child tries to move away from you.
I hope all these suggestions of play and activities will help you to engage your 1 to 3 years old child.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
Importance of a conducive learning environment
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/importance-of-a-conducive-learning-environment (Read 200,857 times)
Holistic Child Development
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52,623 times)
What to prepare for infant care
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23,028 times)
Tampines parks that you can bring your child
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/tampines-parks-that-you-can-bring-your-child (Read 11,902 times)
Cost of infant care
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11,246 times)
NURTURE INFANT HOUSE (Tampines)
Nurture Infant House, a leading infant care in Tampines, provides an infant care programme for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. Teachers from our infant care Tampines or infant care at Tampines are trained, qualified, respectful, responsive to the infants. They are flexible with their approach to learning and can interchange their teaching method to accommodate your infant’s preferred method.
The infant's daily routines in our Tampines infant care include a good mix of structured activities such as introducing infants to a variety of colours, textures, and sounds etc, eat time, play time and rest.
We have over 30 years of experience in nurturing thousands of infants, toddlers and preschoolers so you are looking for Tampines infant care, Tampines preschool or Tampines childcare, do consider Nurture Infant House.
Located beside our Tampines infant care is our Genesis Childcare 1989.
If you are looking for a Tampines preschool or childcare Tampines for playgroup, nursery or kindergarten, you can consider enrolling your child in Genesis Childcare 1989. Our Tampines childcare is one of Singapore's leading childcare services. Visit our childcare at Tampines and Tampines preschool to learn more about our curriculum and how we ensure a holistic development for your child.
Lastly, would you like to visit our Nurture Infant House to find out more about our environment and setup as well as understand our operations by talking to our teachers and supervisor?
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 Singapore 520433
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 Singapore 520433
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293